Custom Mega-Armored Ork Warboss
Having used my basic warboss for years and my biker warboss for a while I figured it was time to try for the big guns. I'd finished a unit of meganobs a while before and now they needed someone to lead them. Traditionally ork players wanting a mega-armored warboss would just paint Ghazghkull a different color with maybe a head-swap. I couldn't go the common route of course so I started digging through my bits box.
I started by cutting a Blackreach warboss in half then removing all the parts on the torso.
I attached the torso to a set of ogryn legs left over from my bikerboss build then boxed it out to a bigger proportions. Most of the detail was covered over but it gave me some cloth detail on the sides that I wanted. I then filled in the neck area to create a solid base to sculpt off of.
With the torso roughed out I started boxing in the feet and legs. The positioning made the plasticard work a little awkward. No one's noticed that the "metal" of the right foot is bent but really, it's orks so it doesn't matter.
With the basic frame done I could add on the hydraulics and hinge joints. A butt-plate acts as the main axel for the legs. The upper legs were covered with "hanging" plates from the belt.
I sculpted the neck detail out of greenstuff. The head is just a Black Reach warboss head with a meganob jaw screwed on.
I had a defiler claw sitting around for a long time and this seemed like the right time to use it. I started by cutting it down and removing all the chaos details. I then added some hydraulics to it. I boxed in the back of the torso and added a powerplant. Wire and guitar string were used as hydraulic lines.
For the right arm I started by building the shoota. I combined parts from the pewter warboss and a loota then built an enclosed fist out of styrene to attach it to. Once I had that I could scale the rest of the arm to it and sculpted one out of greenstuff.
With the major parts built it was down to detailing. I armored up the sculpted arm and added a piston. Some buggy parts bulked out the shoulders and some more worky-bits were added to the defiler arm.
Some glyphs, an attack squig, a few more worky-bits and a ton of rivets later and he was finished.
And here's the final, painted warboss: